I’m writing all this before I go away on vacation (today is 12/12). I’m excited that I can leave here and see people I love and care about, which is usually all I want for my unfortunate 40th birthday, which is, by the way, December 25th.
So here’s a listicle of 40 things I’m grateful for enduring and embracing this year.
- My room flooding
- Sir Coughs-a-Lot, the incessant coughing housemate
- energy vamp, the second incessant coughing housemate
- Developing better boundaries, especially energetically
- Helping a friend move from Miami to D.C.
- Staying at the Omni Hotel in D.C.
- Losing my car again
- Letting go of people who weren’t healthy for me
- Sour gummies (I should let these go in 2017)
- New noise-canceling headphones
- Spell work
- Scented candles from Bath and Body Works (as long as I’m not allergic)
- Those moments of heartfelt connection, kindness, and knowing
- Fall and winter sunsets in Florida
- The hawk who comes to visit
- Black Mirror’s “San Junipero” episode
- Getting unemployment
- Having a safe place to be during Hurricane Irma
- Learning about narcissistic mothers
- Losing Tom Petty
- The solar eclipse
- Winning #NaNoWriMo
- Lost frogs
- One of my patrons who gave me a monetary gift, just when I needed it
- Singing loudly in the car with the windows rolled down and the sunroof open
- Full moon insomnia
- A deeper knowledge of astrology
- All the things that I wanted to work out but didn’t
- Being a full-time freelancer (whether I wanted to or not)
- The groups I floated in and out of
- Any time I spent on the beach
- Real, deep healing from past hurts and traumas
- Every day when I can wake up and try to do this life thing again.
Good Lordy, I’m 40, and I’m just getting started.
Psst… if you want to slip me a birthday gift, feel free: